Friday, September 9, 2011

Obama Speech Over - Battle Begins Over Jobs Plan

This past week we've been conversing about the Obama Jobs Plan - what would be in it? How the Government can get America back to work. Well, last night all of the guessing and speculation came to an end as Obama delivered his speech to the joint session of congress.

So, what do we now know. For most all we know or care about is who won the football game - that's the sad truth, but more on that later!

We know that Obama didn't just ask for $350 - $400 billion as speculated - nope he went for the whole enchilada - $450 Billion! Whoa. That'll keep the guys who print greenbacks employed anyways. And as suspected the Republicans yawned and dismissed the plan before Obama had even finished presenting it.

The biggest part of the plan, in terms of cost, is the payroll tax cut which represents $175 billion of the total projected cost. The plan also calls for much needed expenditures on education by putting $25 Billion into school infrastructure including buying computers and making schools safer through emergency repairs. It also calls for an additional $35 billion to be used for salaries and wages thus preventing 280,000 teachers form losing heir jobs and hiring even more.

Of course my favorite Senator, Mitch McConnell, who is so concerned about the American people had this positive and constructive thing to say,

"The president's so-called jobs plan is to try those very same policies again and then accuse anyone who doesn't support them this time around of being political or overtly partisan, of not doing what's needed in this moment of crisis. This isn't a jobs plan. It's a re-election plan."

That's helpful Mitch!




What is of most interest to me is how little interest the American people even took in this. I monitor stats throughout the week and the whole Jobs Plan didn't even show on the interest meters - it seems Americans are more interested in football than what their public officials are up to! Perhaps some of the Republicans were right and everyone should have just stayed home to watch the game. It's sad really. American society has become a mob of spectators - arm chair quarterbacks. Everyone has signed off on their participatory rights - we've handed them over to our 'representatives' and look where that's getting us. It's time for us to get out of our lazy-boys and start participating!

So, what do you think? And I'm not asking for the same crap that plagues the Hill - I'm asking for some constructive ideas here. What do we need to do to get America back to work? How can our government and elected officials support that goal? Or is it over? Shall we all just float our Lazy-Boys across the pond in search of Overseas Jobs for Americans?

Please leave your comments below or on Goole 1+ and let's get some healthy constructive discussion going!

Source: Obama Speech Over, Battle Begins Over Jobs Plan:

2 comments:

FromTheFuture said...

Just give people JOBS!...give us another stimulus check....give us food stamps.....erase all of our debt! the debt we accumulated due to job loss and need of survival. Help me out...how about a free pizza, to boost my morale....idk....just give me a job and I'll take care of the rest. I was once a Republican....now....I'm unemployed and close to being homeless. And NO, I didn't watch the speech....nor the football game...too busy and stressed out looking for work. Looking to relocate....I'll move to Mexico. Funny how people come to the U.S. in search of a better life...and I'm steady living here in misery...and considering moving to Mexico. Atleast they have Mexican Coca-Cola...made with real sugar.....something to look foward to.

FromTheFuture said...

Just give people JOBS!...give us another stimulus check....give us food stamps.....erase all of our debt! the debt we accumulated due to job loss and need of survival. Help me out...how about a free pizza, to boost my morale....idk....just give me a job and I'll take care of the rest. I was once a Republican....now....I'm unemployed and close to being homeless. And NO, I didn't watch the speech....nor the football game...too busy and stressed out looking for work. Looking to relocate....I'll move to Mexico. Funny how people come to the U.S. in search of a better life...and I'm steady living here in misery...and considering moving to Mexico. Atleast they have Mexican Coca-Cola...made with real sugar.....something to look foward to.